Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Special Hook

My Little cherishes balloons.
She loves them.
We could get rid of all other toys and just have rooms full of balloons and she would be the happiest kid in the world.
Photobucket
When we have them, they go everywhere with us.
Up to bed, down to breakfast, out in the garden...We had one balloon that lasted 2 months before I finally smuggled it out of the house and hid it from her in the garbage can.
A kind woman at Home Depot gave my Little a bright red, star shaped balloon yesterday. She loved it.  True to form the balloon went everywhere.  It floated up to bed with her, then it drifted into my room this morning, then down to breakfast, and out into the garden with her to play.
Photobucket
Can you see where this is going?  She let go of it for a split second and off that shiny balloon went.  I told her that floating up is what balloons do best, and that is why we tie ribbons to them so they can't fly away....Then I told her when something wants to fly it's hard to hold it down.
I wiped her "heart-broken cause my balloon flew away" tears away, and we went out for the rest of the day.  I might add, that every few minutes I had to answer "Mama, where'd my balloon go?"  "Libby where did Mama say the balloon went?"  Then she would answer "Up."
Photobucket
When we got home, right at dusk, something caught my eye.  There was her bright red, star shaped balloon, hooked to one of the highest branches of my neighbor's tree.  She put both hands on her hips, and said "Mama, my star is up der wif  da moon, it's got a special hook, right der.  Daddy needs a chair n some scissors and he get it down.  Mama, it didn't fy away, I can see it from my window."
It was probably one of the single most wonderful conversation I've ever had in my life.  I especially like the part when she said "my star's up der wif da moon"
Photobucket

I scooped her up and smiled...of course Daddy could get it with a chair and scissors.:)

Grace and Peace
ooxx

10 comments:

Sandra said...

This is a lovely story - I hope the red star baloon is still on its special hook when Daddy gets home!
PS Maggie's bird hook will be in the post today.

Jill said...

She's such a smart gal. I love her so. The picture of you too on the bottom needs to be framed and on my desk by noon. On that same note, the one of Mags in her 3 month post also needs to be blown up, framed and on my desk by noon.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura said...

I adore that little girl and I love this story.

We need to make plans for the visit. My mom said that she wants to try to come. You should email her and encourage it. Let's talk dates soon. xoxoxoxo

TeamWhitehead06 said...

That is so cute! Bastian and Gabriel LOVE balloons too! I told Tony that they are each getting 1 balloon for Christmas and they will be so happy!

Amy White said...

Sweet, sweet story. I think we should work on it and turn it into a children's book! :) Love you all.

Jennifer said...

Oh that is so sweet it makes me want to give her a big hug!

Sandra said...

I think Amy has a great idea - both of you should give it a go!

Amanda said...

I'm so crying right now and not sure why! This is such a precious story!

Becky said...

I think Amy has a great idea! I can just see the pages now!