Friday, December 9, 2011

Kris Kringle

Photobucket
I have said it before and I'll say it again..the concept of waiting in a long line so that your children can sit on a stranger's lap is a very bizarre concept to me.  We did it though.  I put the girls in matching out fits, put bows in their hair and off we went to The Bass Pro Store to see...Santa!
Let me just pause to say that I like Santa, he is a symbol of giving, kindness, and yes, even though he is not the Reason we celebrate Christmas, he is a symbol of the Christmas season. So yes, I like him, Libby likes him.  However,  I don't go out of my way to ensure that Libby is on good behavior all year long  just so that she stays on the right side of his list.  We've never left him cookies and I've never put his name on any Christmas tags...But I suppose the idea of Santa is there somewhere in her mind.
We pulled into the BPS at about 6ish and we were given a card that said we were to see Santa at 7pm.  There were families and children dressed in Christmas frocks everywhere.  It amazes me the lengths that people will go for a photo op with their children. So, here I am buying into the madness.  I too dressed my kids, sat them down on a strangers lap and topped the night off by sitting them in front of a taxidermy raccoon b/c I thought it looked festive.
Photobucket
Libby:  "Yeah Mags, this is what she does.  She'll just plop you down anywhere for a picture"
Maggie:  No really, is that raccoon real?
Around 6:20 we got in line and waited, and waited till we were almost there...and then she saw him. In all her little girlness she exclaimed for all to hear "Mama, I see him, I see Santa!"
Photobucket
 It was the epitome of childhood, until we sat her sister down in his lap.  Then the entire store and restraunt stopped to see who was harming the small child.
Photobucket

It's tradition.  Please oh please don't leave this post until you click on this link and go back to see Libby and Santa several years ago.

Hohohohohoho.
Grace and Peace

5 comments:

Nim said...

Cute! In fairness to poor Maggie, I too would be freaked out by this big bearded fellow dressed in red. Very cute as christmas is always something different from a child's point of view and love the revamp to your blog. x

Sandra said...

OK so Libby has told Maggie about having to sit for photo oppertunities - it's a shame she didn't explain about Father Christmas being a really nice man!
Maybe next year you will get the perfect picture of them with the scary man dressed in red.

Amanda said...

This whole post cracked me up, especially your comment on the taxidermy raccoon.

I love your thoughts on Santa, too.

Very cute pics :)

Amy White said...

I agree the little blurb about the raccoon...hilarious! Love the look of concern on Mag's face and the in her own little world look on Libs. May the Scary Santa gene continue to pass from one Bennett girl to the next! :)

Lisa said...

Not to mention the fact that besides "Here, sit in this strangers lap" we pretty much also say "Ok, so this man is going to sneak into our house while we are all sleeping..." :) Hehe. Love the link to the old post, too!